Port St. Lucie Personal Injury Lawyers
A serious injury can change the course of your life. The possibility of an injury—especially a serious one—never occurs to most people, so an unexpected accident is an event many of us are completely unprepared to handle. If you are living in Port St. Lucie, the potential for an accident is especially present. The Treasure Coast in eastern Florida has earned its rightful recognition as one of the most beautiful and popular tourist destinations in the country. As the heart of the beaches, shops, and restaurants, Port St. Lucie attracts some people to the area who are reckless, negligent, and irresponsible, a recipe for a serious accident.
At Schuler, Halvorson, Weisser, Zoeller & Overbeck P.A., we have seen firsthand how much damage a preventable injury can do to an individual or family. Many people who are hurt by the reckless behaviors of other parties have never called upon an attorney or even considered hiring one or taking someone to court. However, our Port St. Lucie personal injury attorneys strongly feel that no person who is hurt by the negligence of another party should have to pay for damages. That is why our firm is dedicated to providing our fellow Floridians with the advocacy they need to obtain the compensation necessary for recovery. Contact us by calling (772) 323-2200 or filling out a contact information sheet on our website.
Do I Need a Personal Injury Attorney?
After sustaining injuries in an accident, it is tempting to assume that you either do not need to pursue compensation or that you can easily seek compensation alone. Some people do have success fighting for restitution without an attorney, but those instances are few and far between. The legal system is complex and most personal injury cases require more time and attention than the average person can handle, especially in the aftermath of an accident. A qualified personal injury lawyer can help you with the following:
- Gathering evidence by collecting relevant documents including medical bills, police reports, witness testimonies, and insurance claims
- Communicating with the other party’s attorney, the insurance companies, and any additional people involved in the case
- Making sure you meet every important court deadline
- Negotiating a settlement or taking your case to trial
If this is your first experience with the law, it will be especially difficult to handle your case alone. Having a knowledgeable advocate on your side can make the process of pursuing compensation easy and effective.
Why Should I Choose Schuler, Halvorson, Weisser, Zoeller & Overbeck P.A.?
Port St. Lucie and the surrounding areas are a bustling location with countless attorneys to choose from in the event of an accident. It can be an overwhelming process to decide who should represent you. The lawyers at Schuler, Halvorson, Weisser, Zoeller & Overbeck P.A. have the legal experience and resources necessary to provide exceptional representation to the people who need it most. Some of the details that set us apart include the following:
- Decades of personal injury experience: We have over 35 years of legal experience in Florida and across the country. This duration of service tops most firms and can be used to your advantage in court.
- Millions of dollars won for clients in verdicts and settlements: We even achieved a $20 million settlement for one of our clients who suffered a brain injury after a car accident. Our firm is prepared and willing to fight for every dollar you deserve.
- Professional, helpful, and informative: If you read through our client testimonials, the same words pop up again and again. We pride ourselves on the care we put into each case, and our clients agree that the results are worthwhile.
In addition to the characteristics above, we do not charge a fee unless we win. Our lawyers are committed to your results, and it is important to us that you get what you need before we charge you. If we do not win your case, you will not owe our firm a dime.
Our Personal Injury Practice Areas
We have handled numerous cases in Port St. Lucie, West Palm Beach, and across Florida. If you or someone you love was injured in an accident, an attorney could help. The cases we handle often result in compensation that helps families cover bills and damages that can quickly arise after an accident. Our firm has experience handling the following types of cases:
- Airplane Accidents: Whether you were flying into West Palm Beach, Miami, or Orlando, plane accidents can be devastating. If an irresponsible pilot or airline caused your accident, you could hold them accountable.
- Car Accidents: Personal vehicles are the most common way to travel, but car accidents are a major risk. When a reckless driver causes an injury, they should be held liable for their actions.
- Truck Accidents: Truckers and trucking companies are common in Florida, and they have a responsibility to drive safely and following regulations. Failure to do so can result in serious injuries.
- Boating Accidents: Port St. Lucie is surrounded by beautiful stretches of water that are ideal for recreational boating. Although boaters are required to drive safely and prevent harm, many individuals end up hurt because of their recklessness.
- Medical Malpractice: We trust doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals with our lives. When they break our trust, they are liable for the consequences.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): Insurance companies have no right to mistreat their customers. If an insurance company wrongfully denied your claim, call an attorney.
- Premises Liability: Property owners have an obligation to keep their properties safe for visitors. It would be their responsibility if carelessness caused an accident on their premises.
- Product Liability: Defective products should never make it to the shelves, but oversight and carelessness allow them to slide into our lives. Contact an attorney if a defective product caused you harm.
- Nursing Home Abuse: When nursing home workers mistreat or ignore our elderly loved ones, they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
- Wrongful Death: Losing your loved one in a preventable accident is extremely painful. You and your family may be entitled to payments for funeral expenses, outstanding debts, and pain and suffering.
- Mass Torts and Class Actions: Some accidents involve multiple individuals who all deserve compensation. When a class action case arises, a personal injury lawyer can help.
- Motorcycle Accidents: Motorcyclists are among the most vulnerable motorists. Negligent drivers should be held accountable when they fail to drive safely and injure or kill a motorcyclist.
- Pedestrian Accidents: Failure to watch for pedestrians is all too common among drivers. Negligent drivers are liable when they cause pedestrian accidents.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire an Attorney?
At Schuler, Halvorson, Weisser, Zoeller & Overbeck P.A., the answer to that is simple: zero dollars unless we win your case. We know how tough it can be to recover after an accident. Our lawyers do not want to make your life harder by saddling you with unnecessary fees. That is why we never charge our clients a dime unless we obtain compensation for you. With that in mind, you should probably act sooner rather than later if you are considering filing a lawsuit. The statute of limitations, or the amount of time you have to file a lawsuit following an accident, is four years for car accidents and two years for wrongful death cases in Florida. A personal injury lawyer can help you determine if you still have grounds to file your case. For answers to questions we are asked frequently, please visit our FAQs page.
Florida Personal Injury Statistics
The aftermath of an injury is an alienating and overwhelming experience for many people. It may feel as if you are the only person in the state, or even the country, feeling the effects of an accident that was not your fault. In fact, hundreds of thousands of Floridians are injured through no fault of their own every single year. Here are some of the most relevant statistics about our state’s personal injury rate, according to Florida’s Integrated Report Exchange System, the National Practitioner Data Bank, and the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- 254,246 injuries caused by car crashes in 2016
- 3,190 traffic fatalities in 2016
- 9,098 pedestrian crashes in 2016
- 1,161 medical malpractice payments filed in 2016
- 228 fatal occupational injuries in 2014
These statistics are frustrating because they indicate that recklessness and negligence are harming individuals and families in large numbers. At Schuler, Halvorson, Weisser, Zoeller & Overbeck P.A., we believe that careless individuals need to be held responsible for their actions when the lives of fellow citizens are at risk. Do not hesitate to contact our firm to get started with a consultation.
Contact a Port St. Lucie Injury Attorney
When you are recovering from an accident, hiring an attorney may be the last thing you feel like doing. However, the benefits of hiring a Port St. Lucie personal injury lawyer from Schuler, Halvorson, Weisser, Zoeller & Overbeck P.A. far outweigh the costs. You should not have to suffer financially because of an injury you did not cause. Let the attorneys at Schuler, Halvorson, Weisser, Zoeller & Overbeck P.A. take the frustrating phone calls and paperwork off your shoulders so you can focus on recovery. Contact our Port St. Lucie office today by calling (772) 323-2200, or reach us online. We look forward to answering your questions and hearing about your situation.